Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Mystery Jet over San Francisco Bay

I was heading in to setup to play the 13th annual O California concert with Napa 3rd and 4th graders yesterday at the Napa High School Auditorium, and, as is my new hobby, I snapped a photo of a passing jet with my new Lumix FZ18. The plane was perhaps five miles south of me, maybe 10,000 or 15,000 feet altitude, on roughly a west to east heading.

Usually what I get are passenger jets. This one looks different. Comparing it with various internet images, at first I thought it looked like an Airbus A340-400, but with a radome or something on top of the fuselage, behind the cockpit. Now I think it looks more like an old Boeing 707. But the tail looks too big. The whole plane looks too big. Those are definitely fanjets. I find nothing in our AWACS arsenal that reselbles it. Take a look and see what you think...



-> Update! It's only a few hours later, and a friend of a friend reports that this craft is an E-6 coverted 707 TCAMO Airborne command post for fleet ballistic missile submarines.

TCAMO stands for "Take Charge And Move Out!"

Like this:

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Counters
Staples Coupons