Saturday, August 25, 2007

Healdsburg Guitar Fesival—and life without DSL, part II

A few weeks back, our DSL modem died, and we were without broadband for a week. Now another glitch has come up, and now for another week we are without DSL. With maddening slowness, webpages slowly form, line by line, graphic by graphic.

I suspect my posting will be sparse for the next week.

And so much has been going on. I accepted a spur of the moment invitation from local guitarist, singer and friend Gary Grubb to accompany him to the semi-annual Healdsburg Guitar Festival. We saw hundreds of the most beautiful guitars in the world, as well as their luthiers. I also saw the most amazing display of JAZZ GUITARING I've ever experienced, and I've seen a lot of all-time great jazz guitarists, alone and in duos, including Barney Kessel, Joe Pass, Herb Ellis, and Tuck Andress. But I have to say Bruce Foreman and Julian Lage are now at the top of my list. They displayed more skill and sheer joy in a half hour impromptu performance than I would have thought possible. It felt like a milestone in the history of jazz. Gary and I were in a mind-boggled daze all the way back to Petaluma.

Maybe I just don't get out much and am too easily impressed.

I've also met some more wonderful musicians lately, and had the pleasure of playing with some of them. I am a lucky guy.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Counters
Staples Coupons