Tuesday, October 03, 2006

How the Supreme Court Mangled My Research

You assume judges hear expert testimony and know if it's trustworthy or not. You know what they say about assumptions...

This is a very sobering article.

Counterpunch:
"What the Supreme Court Doesn't Know

By PAULA J. CAPLAN

I should have been thrilled. And I was, for five minutes. 'Your book about psychiatric diagnosis was cited in the latest United States Supreme Court decision,' read a colleague's email message to me.

For five minutes I felt gratified, thinking my report that many psychiatric diagnostic categories are unscientific had been helpful. Then I saw that what the Clark v. Arizona decision, the last in the Court's most recent term, included was a serious mischaracterization and misapplication of my work. I wondered how the Court had heard of my book and soon discovered that the writer of an amicus curiae brief had cited it in a way that, through implication and omission, was misleading."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Counters
Staples Coupons