Friday, December 09, 2005

Museum Painting, take two

At the last minute (like, the night before I delivered it) it suddenly seemed imperative that the sky in the Sharpsteen Museum painting be changed. As I repainted it, the trees seemed to need a bit more work, and then the foreground.

Here's what it ended up looking like:

I thought I'd lost this picture (which is actually a composite of two overlapping pictures I took of the painting, to get a more high resolution image.) The disc I was using in my Mavica refused to be readable by the camera, and when I tried to finalize the disc in the camera it just made whirring sounds until it gave up and stopped. I tried cleaning the disc, only to have the next attempt end with the camera saying "repairing data" - that sounded ominous. I bought a CD repair kit, only to find that, though it worked great on regular CDs, it lacked the capacity to work on mini CDs, like the camera uses. A search of the internet produced a post where someone reviewed CD repair methods and found Brasso and a cloth to be as good or better than any of the bought kits.

So I spent quite a bit of time with the CDRW from the camera, some Brasso, and a cloth. Polish, try, fail. Polish, try, fail. Repeat.

Then last night I got the idea to try to finalize the disc in my XP computer. Another internet google produced a couple of posts where folk mentioned in passing that their XP computers read unfinalized discs. Well!

I tried it. It worked! The pictures that I'd given up as lost forever popped up on the XP computer screen. Cool! Sometimes all this electronic magic surprises in ways that are good.


Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Counters
Staples Coupons