Monday, April 16, 2007

Big Aqus Cafe Fun and a Busy Day

Two days ago this extremely fun event occurred:

The show itself was as much fun as the handful of rehearsals we had, which were all hilarious.

(one minute of YouTube of the show is here.)

Pamela and Gary are both very talented singers and musicians, and the overflow crowd had a great time. I did a couple of tunes myself, which is pretty unusual. The real strength of the group, I'd say, is our three part harmony, the quality of which amazed even me.

The future? We're slated to make a brief appearance at a local fundraiser on June 2. Other than that, there are no other plans. Pamela has two other bands, and Gary plays with everyone in the area.

I had a very busy day Saturday. Up and to the cafe by 9am (I'm seldom awake before 9am on a Saturday!) and playing 10am until noon, and then helping Gary and his wife Peg pack up the equipment, just in time for a torrential downpour. Then rehearsing with Al Haas and his son for an upcoming Farmer's Market gig Saturday, June 30, until about 4pm. Brief stop to gather my wits, and then a cruise over to Napa to see some folks I'd only heard about, a cowboy (and cowgirl) band. I'd met one of the singers at a friend's house, and when I told her about the Aqus gig she said she couldn't make it because she had this private party to play with her band. Sean Allen, a great Napa guitarist who was playing lap steel with them, persuaded me to sit in for a tune or two on his Telecaster. Fun. Then it was off to meet with Gordon Lustig and a friend of his for dinner and a show. Dinner turned out to be at Piccolino's in Napa, where Gordon often plays, watching Bobby Simmons, whom I hadn't seen in months. Then we attended an Adrian Legg concert at Copia. How was it? It was about two hours long, all in what looked like open D tuning. That's a lot of one tuning.

A fun fun day. Now I'm tired.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Counters
Staples Coupons